Thursday, October 25, 2007

Lake Arrowhead

I got to talk to Chris a while tonight. They got in to Lake Arrowhead this morning at 5:30 am and proceeded directly to nap time. (You try to ride 24 hours in fire engine). They should be up on the fire tonight.


In other news, the dogs got to go to doggie day care today. This was their first time. Usually Chris is home, or I can come home at lunch to break up their day. This week, however, they spent Mon-Wed cooped up in the house.

Here's the thing about having dogs: more and more, its like having kids. Take doggie day care. Growing up my family had dogs, and when we weren't around, the dogs just roamed the house. Now, a "responsible" pet owner should be taking their dog to doggie day care.

There's a scene in the 80's classic "Baby Boom" where Diane Keaton is sitting in the park with her inherited kid and all the other New York moms are talking about how their child is learning French in pre-school and the pregnant mom points to her belly and says something like, "He's been on the wait-list since my first trimester." Doggie day care is the new pre-school.

There are levels of doggie day care. Its like Montessori pre-school vs. regular pre-school. Some places consist of an outdoor facility and an indoor facility and the dogs can play and roam freely. The place our dogs went today, however, is all structured and endeavours to create a "balance between mind, body, and social development." So, our dogs day consisted of group play, leash walks, traning, food puzzles, a rub-down, and a nap.

WHAT? A rub-down and a nap?

So, now doggie day care is the canine equivalent of a spa day? Chris is out battling fires, I'm beating my head into the wall with the BIA, and our dogs are at the spa. What's wrong with this picture?

I have to say, though, that I think I got my money's worth. Since I got home tonight there's been no fighting over toys, no incessant pleas to go throw the ball, and no barking. They've both been totally mellow and tired all night. Based on that alone I forsee more trips to doggie day care for the dogs...

... despite how ridiculous I feel for taking them.

1 comment:

i'm courtney said...

doggie day spa--i'm so jealous. next time i see you, can we watch "baby boom"? man, i love that movie!